1934 Packard, V-12, 1107 (142 ½ inch wheelbase) convertible sedan, Ray Dietrich designed. The car was originally sold in St. Louis by the Berry Motor Car dealership. Bill Abbot owned the car in the 1950’s, and Dr. George Westfall bought it from an heir and owned it until it was purchased by Jerry Jones in 1961. It was acquired in2008 by Cheryl Carter Jones.
Three position top, with a divider window that rolls up from the back of the front seat. The car can be driven as:
1. Fully open with the top down as a phaeton
2. Fully closed with the top up as a sedan
3. Full closed with the divider window (fully intact) rolled up as a limousine
4. The top locked with the front seat open – as a town car.
It originally came with two separate radios and antennas. The front seat radio has the head in the center of the dash (this is the first year of Packard to have this). The original antenna is under the right running board. The back seat radio has an oval Packard inscribed head in the right rear armrest. The actual radio fit in a metal box under the center of the rear floor board. The speaker was inside the upholstery of the left rear door. The wire to the speaker was through a hole drilled in the rubber door stop. The antenna for the rear radio was in a 2 ½’ by 3’ panel, which snapped into the top above the back seat. (The original also goes with the car.)
The customized accessories on the car are patterned after ones on a 1933 Packard built for the President of the Dominican Republic by Rollston limousine (we have a picture of it from a magazine), and were available in 1934. It includes twin spotlights on the fenders, wood spoke wheels, “wood” cats eye head lights (Wood lights) and a single pilot ray driving light. It also has the earlier basket weave stone shield.
The top is in excellent condition, never having been wet, and the paint, while presentable, is fifteen years old and has some chips. At the time it was painted, the fenders were hot dipped and refinished. The tires have less than 1,000 miles on them. The car has a $450 baked lining in the gas tank and the water pump was rebuilt. It has a new heavy duty 6-volt battery. The upholstery is Naugahyde, installed by Dr. Westfall, and should be replaced with leather. The chrome, redone in the 1960’s will need some attention; however, the rear bumper is newly re-chromed. There is a crack in the front passenger window.
Dr. Westfall installed a 1939 V-12 short block in the car in order to have the benefit of insert bearings. They have needed no attention since that time. The car comes with original wood wheel lug wrench, trunk with fitted cases, and most all parts needed to replace the parts used to replicate the car for the President of the Dominican Republic. There are many extra parts that will go with the car.
Ray Dietrich personally drew a pencil drawing of this particular car for my husband and signed it. The drawing will go with the car. We have several other items signed by Ray Dietrich that we might consider selling as well.
SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!!!